Skip to main content

Riya Overcomes Panic Attack



Riya had been referred to with panic disorder. She was preoccupied with the idea that the sensations she experienced in her panic attacks were a sign of a serious physical abnormality, and that she could die in an attack.
The therapist was conducting a session in which she was asked to read pairs of words representing her panic-related thoughts in an attempt to demonstrate that the main problem was her fearful thoughts, rather than a physical abnormality.
Ria had been quite emotional before the task. She took one look at the sheet—the first pair was ‘Breathless- Suffocate’—and said: “I don’t think I can do this, I’m feeling too breathless”.
However, the therapist got her as far as the fifth pair, ‘Palpitation-Dying’, whereupon she stopped, and pushed the paper away. She looked very anxious and said she didn’t want to carry on reading.
“You look as though you are feeling anxious. Is that right? What’s going through your mind right now?” inquired the therapist.
“Its just occurred to me that if you can get breathless by reading the word breathless, by the same token, you can die by reading the word Dying.”
The therapist was surprised by this response and gave a rather muddled explanation of why this would not happen. The experiment had not had its intended effect but, as usual, the patient was asked to listen to the session tape as part of homework.
At the start of the next session, reviewing the homework,
Ria commented:
“I can’t believe how stupid I was”.
“In what way were you stupid?”
“Thinking that if I said the word, Dying, that I’d die.”
“Why’s that stupid?”
“Well, I’ve got friends in the funeral business, they think about dying all the
time, and they’re not dead. And anyway, when I listened to the tape, I noticed
I said you might die by reading the word Dying—and I didn’t die.”
The therapist proceeded with therapy. The next task was to consider the amount of times that Ria had had the thought that she might die, but had not died. They worked out that with about 10 panic attacks a day
over a period of 10 years this had amounted to some 36,000 occasions!
“What do you make of that?” asked the therapist.
“Well” said Ria, “it wouldn’t be a good way of killing myself, would it.”

If you are in the state of panic, feel free to connect with us. we are happy to help. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Worry Tree by Butler & Hope 2007

Most of us are often trapped in the chain of worrisome thoughts that won't seem to break. we are happy to share 'the worry tree' model introduced by Butter and Hope in 2007. Butler & Hope defined worry as below: 'To worry means to think about problems that might happen in a way that leaves you feeling anxious or apprehensive. Worry is experienced as a chain of thoughts and images which can progress in increasingly  catastrophic and unlikely directions. It is often experienced as uncontrollable and seems to take on a life of its own.' Notice the worry :  Butler and hope suggested to stop for a while and notice the worry. Second step is to understand whether the worry is outcome of a current problem or it is an hypothetical situation Hypothetical Situation - are about things that do not currently exist,but which might happen in the future. Eg. What if I fail in exam,  My friend might not come today to help me Current Problem - are about actual prob...

Toxic, Narcissist आणि Personality Disorder

Toxic, Narcissist आणि Personality Disorder: आपण माणसांना समजून घेतोय की फक्त त्यांना Label लावतोय? काल सहज बाहेर पडलो आणि एका नवीन चित्रपटाचं poster दिसलं Toxic . शब्द नजरेत पडला आणि अचानक मला एक वेगळाच प्रश्न पडला : हा शब्द English भाषेत आला तरी कुठून? Toxic हा मुळात काही psychology मधून जन्माला आलेला शब्द नाही. त्याचा संबंध toxicity, toxic substance, poison, intoxication अशा वैद्यकीय आणि रासायनिक संदर्भांशी आहे. म्हणजे एखादा पदार्थ शरीराला विषारी ठरतो, शरीरात विषारी परिणाम निर्माण करतो, त्याला toxic म्हणता येतं. पण मग हळूहळू भाषेने एक मोठी उडी घेतली. आता toxic हा पदार्थासाठी कमी आणि माणसांसाठी जास्त वापरला जाऊ लागला. एखादी व्यक्ती आपल्या अपेक्षेप्रमाणे वागत नाही toxic . एखादा मित्र आपल्याला विरोध करतो toxic . एखाद्या नात्यात मतभेद झाले toxic relationship . एखादी व्यक्ती आपल्याला आवडत नाही toxic person . आणि सर्वात मजेशीर भाग म्हणजे आपण हा निष्कर्ष इतक्या conviction ने सांगतो की जणू त्या व्यक्तीची laboratory test करूनच आलो आहोत. "तो माणूस toxic आहे."    कशावरून? "कार...

Tame your taste buds

Phone ringing….. "Yuk! Such a bad taste, you suggested me flax seeds. You didn’t tell me they taste so horrible” one of my clients on the phone was furious. She tried flax seed for the first time.I forgot to tell her how to use flax seeds if she doesn't like the taste. In the next session with her, I suggested her to roast flax seeds for a few minutes and grind them to powder form. This powder one can add a spoon or two in smoothies, dips (chutney), milk etc. she started doing so and the ‘taste’ problem was resolved. Although the awareness to eat healthy is the news these days. preparedness to curb taste habits seems missing in many and It is very natural. People often find it difficult to deal with the ‘taste’ aspect of food. ‘taste’ is a habit forming just like a drug. Some people I know say that they can’t imagine life without spicy food whereas there are also many people who risk the spike in their insulin level for sweets. Bitter is usually the most avoided ta...